Communications Managers: do you have a writer or group of writers who need to be transformed into speechwriters?
Speechwriters who can write at the highest levels with a minimum amount of hand-holding?
- speechwriters who understand where to get their information, how to master style, structure and storyline, and how to capture your speaker’s unique voice.
- speechwriters who know how to match your organization’s strategic and business communications objectives with the needs of your audiences.
By the end of my seminars your speechwriters will:
- write speeches that incorporate the four main pillars of speechwriting: style, structure, substance and storyline;
- obtain and recognize the information they need.
- host clear and actionable speechwriting meetings that get results;
- write quotable, key messages that work for traditional and social media;
- create clear introductions, points and calls to action;
- file, manage and evaluate past speeches for future results.
How My Seminars Work
I believe the best way to train speechwriters is to have them actually write speeches.
It sounds like common sense, but many speechwriting courses don’t do this. They just read speeches.
In my speech writing training seminars, your speechwriter will apply theory to practice. Simply reading speeches and expecting to become a speechwriter is about as helpful as watching football and expecting to play in the Superbowl.
Expect your speechwriter to take action. Only by taking a surgical approach — deconstructing paragraphs, dissecting sentences, discussing specific words — can speechwriting be improved.
Your speechwriter also be put into the speaker’s shoes. In my seminars, the writer is put into the shoes of two people: writer and speaker. It’s why I require your speechwriter to not only write speeches, but deliver them as well. It gives an experience of how the written word is different than the spoken word.
How do I ensure this individual attention? By keeping my on-site speech writing seminars small. No more than 10 people per seminar. This provides a personalized approach for each speechwriter while allowing for dynamic group discussion.
The two-day seminar is divided into four parts. They are the pillars of how I teach speechwriting. While the following list is not exhaustive, it provides a sense of the material we’ll cover. A complete topics list is delivered upon registration.
The Global Speechwriter’s Four Pillars Of Speechwriting
- Writing for the ear
- Identifying and eradicating jargon
- Writing in plain language
- Paragraph and sentence structure
- How to establish “the point”
- Effective openings
- Thematic support
- Hosting effective speechwriting meetings
- How to obtain and organize your information.
- How to incorporate facts and statistics
- Factual support and logical progression
- Understanding and matching audience needs
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Analysis of effective/non-effective speech storylines
- Relevance of stories
- Anecdotes and support
What I expect From Participants
- Open and respectful participation in discussions.
- Considered and constructive feedback for other participants.
- The ability to receive the same feedback from others.
What Participants Can Expect From Me
- A supportive teaching environment where you will have the freedom to experiment with your writing.
- Constructive feedback that will challenge your thinking.
- An in-class environment that respects your privacy and personal growth.
- My availability for one-on-one discussions via telephone or email.
How I’m Qualified
I’ve written speeches for the highest levels of government and business for more than a dozen years. Clients include the CEO of a FTSE 100 company, Canadian, Mexican and American government officials, prime ministers, a member of the Qatari Royal Family and various embassies and consulates. You can read more about me here.
Ready to take the next step?
If you would like to discuss how Global Speechwriter On-Site Speech Writing Seminars could work for your organization, please get in touch here or by using the form below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you tailor speechwriting seminars for my organization or is it all generic?
I am happy to discuss your needs and tailor my course accordingly.
Where are you based?
Who covers travel cost?
You cover travel and accommodation costs
English is our second language. Will it work for us?
Indeed, I specialize in helping speechwriters whose first language is not English. It’s why I’m called Global Speechwriter!
Can we get some recommendations from people you’ve trained?
Absolutely. Contact me by filling out the form below and I’ll be happy to put you in touch.
Do you do this online?
Yes, find out more here.
Do you provide professional speechwriting services?
Yes, please click here for more information.
We need more than two days. Do you offer longer speechwriting training seminars?
All seminars can be designed with your needs in mind. Please call or fill out the form below and I’ll get back to you within 24 hours.